Helen L. Plants and Wallace S. Venable
West Publishing Company, St. Paul, 1975
All objectives are to bemet completely correctly in four out of five trials.
1. Given a vector and two lines the student shall find its components along the lines,
a.when the lines are orthogonal.
b. when the lines are nonorthogonal.
Heshall solve such problems,
a. using vector algebra.
2. Given aright handed coordinate system the student shall
a. resolve a given vectorinto orthogonal components and represent it as
i. a magnitude times a unitvector.
iii. an arrow on a drawing.
b. find the position vector of one given point with respect to another.
3. Given expressions for two vectors A and B and a scalar k the student shall compute
a. A x B
b. A B
c. A + B
d. A - B
4. Given a vector V which passes through a point P1, the student shall compute the moment of V about
a. a given point P2
b. a line passing through P2 and a third given point P3
5. Given a system of vectors and pointsthe student shall compute the moment of the system of vectors about a point and a line.
1. Given a couple expressed as two forces the student shall compute its moment.
2.Given a force at point P1 the student shall resolve it into a couple and a force at some other given point P 2.
3. Given atwo dimensional force system the student shall find the resultant force and locate its line of action.
4. Given a three dimensional force system the student shall reduce the system to a force (at a specified point)and a couple.
5. Given a distributed load the student shall find its resultant andlocate its center of pressure.
6. Given a body the student shall locate its center ofmass.
1. Given a systemof rigid bodies the student shall
a. draw a free body diagram of a designated member.
b. draw a free body diagram of an adjacent member showingthe reversal of forces at the joint.
c. draw a free body diagram of the complete system.
1. compute the first moment of the area about the x axis.
2. locate the centroid of the area.
3. compute the moment of inertia
a. about a centroidal axis inthe plane.
b. about a coordinate axis in the plane.
1. compute the first moment of the composite figure about a specified axis.
2. locate its centroid.
3. compute its moment of inertia about a specified axis in the planeof the figure.
4. compute its momentof inertia about an axis through its centroid.
1. the method of joints.
2. the method of sections.